Making laundry bar soap can be a good business idea. You can also make laundry soap for house hold use so you will not have to buy it in the market. Below is the procedure on making the laundry soap made from coconut oil which is the main ingredient. Other materials needed can be bought from chemical stores or from ultima entrepinoy.
Materials/Ingredients (for 28 bars)
- Coco oil – 8 kg
- Caustic soda solution, 36oBe [30% solution] – 5 kg
- Soda ash – 90 g
- Salt – 48 g
- Sodium silicate – 400 g
- CDEA [coco diethanolamide] – 40 mL
- Citronella oil – 20 mL
- Water – 6 L
- Plastic pail – 16 L cap. ; 20 L cap. 
- Hydrometer, 0-70oBe
- Weighing scale – 10 kg
- Wooden stirrer/manual or electric mixer
- Spatula, stainless
- Basin (large)
- Graduated cylinder
Preparation of Materials
- Caustic soda solution, 36oBe (30% solution)
- Dissolve 2 kg caustic soda in 4.6 liters water. Cool to room temperature, check the concentration with the hydrometer, adjust (if necessary) and filter if needed before using.
Dissolve salt, soda ash and sodium silicate in 1.4 L of water.
Procedure on making the Laundry Bar Soap
- Measure or weigh carefully the required quantity of coco oil.
- Weigh the lye or caustic soda solution required (5 kg) and add slowly to the oil, stirring continuously for about 30-45 minutes until it attains the condensed milk-like consistency.
- Add the measured amounts of dissolved additives and CDEA (foam booster) with continuous stirring from 5-10 minutes more. Then add the essential oil with stirring. Stop stirring when the mixture attains a viscosity similar to condensed milk.
- Pour the homogenous viscous soap mixture into the moulder, allow to set at room temperature for 12 hours or until soap solidifies.
- Cut the soap into bars of suitable sizes with a string or wire attached to the wooden/metal cutter. Twenty-eight (28) bars will be produced. The soap is white or creamy white. Cut bar into 4 pieces and pack in a plastic bag.
- Allow to age from 7 to 10 days to complete the saponification reaction.