There are two common method of producing Virgin Coconut Oil:
1. Heated (Hot Methods) processes.
2. Non-Heated (Cold Methods) processes.
Hot methods apply extreme pressure or high heat to extract the oil from the nut. Cold methods obtain oil without applying heat or pressing the coconut meat mechanically, hence the more common term “cold pressed”. While many Virgin Coconut Oil found in the market claim to be cold pressed, the oil you buy may have been heated after extraction to hasten the lowering of the moisture (water) content.
How To Make Your Own Cold Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil
- First of all you must get and select a very mature coconut. You can start at two or three coconuts. This is very important because if you choose a young or immature coconut, you will not get enough coconut oil.
- Then you must grate the coconut meat or you can ask the someone to do it.
- Try to find a big jar with wide mouth. Then extract the coconut milk from the grated coconut by putting a handful in a piece of cloth or “katsa”. Wrap and wring the katsa to extract the milk.
- When you have finished extracting the milk, leave it for 24 hours in the jar in an isolated place. After 24 hours, scoop the curd with a spoon on the top until you see the oil. Then slowly scoop the virgin coconut oil in a clean jar or bottle. Now you have it. A home made virgin coconut oil !
- There is a better option, you can freeze the coconut milk after 24 hours so you won’t have to scoop the oil since the curd and oil are already hardened, it is easy for you to separate the curd and the oil.
While virgin coconut oil has been documented to help alleviate, ease, protect against and even cure many ailments, it is still vital that the individual maintain a healthy lifestyle, exercise regularly, eat a balance diet of the right kind of food, and drink lots of water.
Some of the 200+ known medical uses
Skin (mosquito/insect bites, itching, rashes, cuts, bruises, scratches, acne, sun-burn, burns, blisters, wrinkles, warts, moles, fungus, skin cancer, pre-cancerous lesions, eczema, stretch marks, massage).
Hair (dandruff, scalp care, hair growth, lice infestations).
Mouth (cracked lips, gum disease, dental cavities, toothaches, mouthwash, throat infections, sore throat).
Thyroid Function (overweight, cold hands/feet, fatigue, migraines, PMS, irritability, fluid retention/swelling, anxiety/panic attacks, depression, memory, concentration, low sex drive, low body temperature, constipation, insomnia, itchiness, food sensitivities, brittle nails, bruise easily, heat/cold intolerance, hypoglycemia, frequent/persistent colds, UTI, yeast infections, immunity, joint pains, poor coordination, irregular menstrual periods).
Bacteria (ear, throat, sinus, genital infections, UTI, pneumonia, rheumatic fever, dental cavities and gum disease, food poisoning, toxic shock syndrome, meningitis, gonorrhea, gastric ulcers, parrot fever, septicemia, endocarditis, enterocolitis, E.coli, staphylococcus, strephtococci, strephtococcus).
Virus (influenza, measles, herpes, mononucleosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, hepatitis C, AIDS, SARS) Fungus (ringworm, athlete’s foot, jock itch, candidiasis, diaper rash, thrush, toenail fungus). Parasites (giardiasis, tapeworms, pinworms).
Cancer (colon, breast, skin, liver, inhibit tumor growth).
Others: Asthma, diabetes, psoriasis, artherosclerosis, hypertension, Alzheimer’s, Sjogren syndrome, Crohn’s, headaches, colds, aches and pains, fever, flu, bronchitis, colitis, cysts, dysentery, dysmenorrhea, hemorroids, cough, dropsy, kidney stones, jaundice, scabies, scurvy, syphilis, hematemesis, hemoptysis, phthisis, tuberculosis, tumors, typhoid, stomach ulcers, Parkinson’s, prostate, gallbladder, malnutrition, maintain intestinal health, normalize body functions, reduce body weight by boosting metabolism.
It can boost the immune system. It can lower cholesterol, but may also raise cholesterol when too low for the body’s needs.
source of 200+ known medical uses: Entrepinoy; Making the coconut oil by: Aling Naty our neighbor